Friday 6 March 2015

General & Local Elections

So here we are again its Election Time in May for both local MP's and also the Prime Minister!

I had a leaflet come through my door the other day for Chris Oxlade who is hoping to be elected for Labour outlining the things he stands for and it got me thinking. I have no idea what the major parties are standing for in the General Elections and more to the point and in my immediate interests other than Chris Oxlade I have no idea what any of his opponents stand for.

Now I have no particular affinity to any political party but try and make a decision based on what I think is best for me, my family & the town I live in.

In 2010 that was Henry Smith his big thing at the time was to restore a Hospital to Crawley which 5 years later has still not been fully achieved and I know the argument from Henry would be there are more services and staff at Crawley Hospital than before he was elected but thats not what he was selling at the time.

Now it seems to me that both with the General Elections and the Local Elections people seem to be keeping quiet and not wanting to really deliver a manifesto to the VERY people who will elect them in to power. The simple equation in my mind is this at the moment:

General Elections - We have now had Labour & Conservative in power although with a little help from Lib Dems and neither have done a good job but to be honest we are out of options!
Local Elections - I am leaning towards Chris Oxlade simply because I do not know what anyone else stands for and they have not taken the time to tell me!

I think Politics is a mess in general but I always take the view if I do not vote then I am not entitled to an opinion afterwards.

I also feel that people aged 16 should be allowed to vote, they are the voice of a generation that we are not capturing at the moment and will be the very people who at 21 will help to shape the Elections next time around!

No comments:

Post a Comment